Who We Are
DNA is an independent creative agency in the Metropolis-meets-Mother-Nature hotbed of Seattle. Our thing? We make love between people and brands. How do we do it? By helping brands be entertaining, engaging, relevant and useful, day in and day out. What it requires of us is curiosity, courage, talent, honesty, hard work and a healthy dose of magic. At DNA, we have a ‘maker’ mentality where creativity lives in every department, where new voices and perspectives are nurtured, and we never, ever forget that the work is the boss.
Who You Are
Head of Media and Comms Planning Overview
You’re a leader, collaborator, partner and builder. You’re creative, optimistic and curious and you like finding insights and solutions. You are equal part thinker and doer, planner and implementer. You know the media world like the back of your hand, and you also have the experience in planning for how engaging ideas show up and when. In other words, you lead the way with your partners and team making big and important stuff a reality.
You see being in an independent, full-service, creative shop as a competitive advantage to getting to better work and exceptional results for our clients. You also don’t believe in being the “media department down the hall”. You’re an active creative partner to the agency bringing integrated media and creative ideas to help create a unified communication strategy for our clients. You’re excited by growth and being part of building the future of our company.
You can demonstrate how you connect with our beliefs and behaviors. For example:
- The Work is the Boss – You aren’t afraid of a big idea and what it takes to get it done. You swing for the fences and aren’t afraid to fail. You believe the best idea should always win.
- Be Brave-Hearty – You are fearless and bold. You step out of your comfort zone daily and you give love to others who do the same. You are refreshingly honest and direct in your interactions and expect the same from others. You “walk your talk” and lead by example.
- Have My Back. Scratch My Back. – You are always building on ideas and staying positive about the potential. You have a point of view, not just an opinion. You push the work without pushing people’s buttons, and have respect for everyone, regardless of title or level.
- Bring Your Inner Child – You are relentlessly optimistic. You’re mind and heart are open to what is new and different. You don’t wait until happy hour to have fun!
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
As Head of Media and Communications Planning, you will bring a vision of what Media and Communications Planning can be at DNA and how this translates to value for the agency and our clients. You will be a visionary leader in this space, obsessed with future trends in media and comms planning, emerging platforms/technologies, that inform approaches that keep DNA innovative and relevant.
You will be responsible for providing advice and guidance for how media is planned, managed, purchased and reported, including what is managed internally and any recommendations regarding current and potential external partners and vendors. You will bring your problem-solving expertise to develop our insights and analytics offering, develop measurement plans, and identify test-and-lean opportunities to improve performance and reinforce the agency’s value.
You will lead the department and agency by formalizing how Communications Planning works at DNA, partnering closely with members of the Executive Team as well as department representatives including strategy, business leadership and creative. You will ensure that our Communications Planning and Media are fully integrated into our strategic framework and amplifies creative ideas impactfully across paid, earned and owned media channels.
You will engage with senior leaders, bringing your experience, thoughts and ideas to the agency’s future and in particular, how we grow. You will be an integral part of the new business team, pitching new clients and helping to successfully onboard the ones we win. You will also be asked to engage in how DNA grows its data/analytics capability and the connections this has to media and comms planning.
You will enthusiastically mentor, train and grow media talent at DNA across omni-channel comms planning, media buying, and analytics disciplines.
- Bachelor’s degree, equivalent, or relevant work experience
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in media and comms planning. Experience at a creative agency is preferred
- Experience in managing and growing a team of direct reports – from managing other managers to entry-level assistants
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate with others
- Ability to effectively manage your time and deliver high-level results
- Proactive critical thinker with the ability to identify and resolve problems independently – but knows when to ask for help
- A team player – always learning and willing to extend a helping hand
- Strong experience in all areas of paid media, including planning and buying
- Experience in successfully pitching new business as part of a coordinated agency team
- Experience presenting and achieving consensus on ideas, in person or over the phone, with internal teams, partners and clients
- A fair and strong negotiator who defends the client’s best interest with media partners and vendors
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft (Excel, PowerPoint, Word), Google Docs, MRI, Nielsen Ad Intel and other similar or relevant research & reporting resources
- Working knowledge of digital platforms and software such programmatic systems (DSPs, DMPs), social platforms (both paid and organic), and analytics tools (Google, Adobe
- The above experience at a creative agency, partnering with strategic and creative teams
- Salary DOE
- 100% Employer paid medical, dental & vision
- Life Insurance & Long-Term Disability
- 401K Plan
- Personalized PTO (Our version of unlimited PTO)
- Paid Maternity/Paternity Leave